Gujarat Renewable Energy Policy 2023 Draft

Gujarat Renewable Energy Policy 2023 Draft

Gujarat, one of India’s leading states in renewable energy, has unveiled its ambitious Renewable Energy Policy for 2023. The policy outlines a comprehensive roadmap for the state’s transition to a more sustainable energy future. Here’s a deep dive into the key highlights of the policy:

1. Ambitious Targets:

The state aims to achieve a whopping 100 GW of cumulative Renewable Energy capacity by 2030.
This endeavor is expected to attract investments of around Rs. 5 lakh crores.
The plan will utilize approximately 4,00,000 acres of land.

2. Flexibility in Project Setup:

There’s no capacity restriction for setting up Renewable Energy projects, whether for captive use or selling electricity to third-party consumers. Developers have the freedom to set up solar or wind projects inside or outside solar parks, on government revenue land, or private land. Floating or canal-based solar projects will be implemented after consulting with the relevant government authorities.

3. Wind-Solar Hybrid (WSH) Projects:

Type-A Projects: Conversion of existing or under-construction standalone wind or solar power plants into hybrid projects.
Type-B Projects: New wind-solar hybrid projects that haven’t been registered with GEDA or lack evacuation permission.

4. Renewable Energy Parks:

The policy promotes the development of solar parks, wind parks, and hybrid parks.
The minimum capacity for an RE park is set at 50 MW, while the maximum capacity will adhere to MNRE guidelines.

5. Regulatory Mechanisms:

RE projects can be set up under the REC mechanism for captive use or third-party sale, in line with CERC regulations.
If RE projects are set up for captive use or third-party sale without utilizing the RE attribute for their own RPO, the RE attribute will be accounted for in DISCOM’s RPO.

6. Power Procurement by DISCOMs:

DISCOMs can procure power from distributed solar projects (up to 4 MW capacity) and small-sized wind projects (up to 25 MW capacity) at a pre-fixed levelized tariff as determined by GERC.

7. Project Commissioning:

RE Developers must commission at least 10% of the allotted capacity within a month of charging the evacuation line. The remaining 90% capacity should be commissioned within two years.

8. Green Tariff:

To encourage consumers to adopt renewable energy, DISCOM will supply 100% renewable energy to those who request it, at a Green Power Supply Tariff.

9. Monitoring and Data Transfer:

RE developers are mandated to install a Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) at the RE project. This will transfer real-time data to the concerned Load Dispatch Centre for monitoring.

10. Carbon Credit Benefits:

RE projects are eligible for Carbon Credits. These credits can be availed and retained by the RE developer for all projects installed through the competitive bidding process.

In conclusion, Gujarat’s Renewable Energy Policy 2023 is a testament to the state’s commitment to a greener and more sustainable future. With clear guidelines and ambitious targets, the state is poised to lead India’s renewable energy revolution.